Do you often say that there aren’t enough hours in a day? Feel like if you had just a couple more hours you could do this or that? Get enough sleep? Cook a healthy dinner? Exercise? Take on that new project? Start reducing your to do list instead of watching it grow?
I can honestly say yes to all these questions. For a long time I felt like I just have no time to live. Well no more.
There is a wonderful exercise you can do, that does not take a lot of time, but can give you those few extra hours in a day. What you do is take a piece of paper and write down all the things that you do that give you no benefit, that waste your time, distractions that you can eliminate. This can include:
- Watching TV, unless you are watching something educational, it is just a waste of time.
- Playing Facebook games or any other video games, when did you get anything out of that?
- Facebook in general,especially if you have notifications on your cell phone and it keeps beeping with every single update. Do you need to know that someone you know is eating at a restaurant or see that photo of their cat right when they post it?
- Grooming, and I don’t mean the normal shower, brushing your teeth, combing your hair. If you spend an hour getting ready every day you need to find a new routine.
- YouTube, it just sucks you in for hours one video after the next.
- Shopping, I am talking about the four-hour grocery shopping and hours of any other shopping, do we really need that much stuff?
- I am sure you can think of other things in your day that you can do without.
Over the last year I slowly started eliminating things that waste my time, but with one thing gone another takes over the time slot. Inspired by the Avicii song The Nights, yesterday morning I woke up and covered my TV with an over-sized towel and deleted all games from my cell phone. This is only day two but I can truly say, I feel liberated. I feel like I actually have time to do things, go places, exercise, learn, read, catch up. When you multiple the hours you spend in a day wasting time and multiple it by the days in a year, it is incredible how much time we just through away. I was spending at least a month a year wasting time. What can you do with an extra month?
So in Avicii’s words “Live a life you will remember”!
What will you eliminate? What will you do with all your free time?