In today’s modern world overwhelm just seems to creep on us from all directions without notice. The inbox fills at an astounding rate, the to do list just seems to grow and grow on top of everything we are already doing and the mind becomes constantly busy with the all the thing we need to do.
This past month was just a build up of all kinds of noise and distractions for me and for a moment there I felt like I lost myself in it all. With bliss as my number one goal right now, here is what I did to start clearing it up:
- All day long I remind myself to finding something to thank for. Which is becoming easier with the beautiful month of May. I am grateful for all the beautiful flowers around, for my health, my family, the little hummingbirds buzzing around, the sun, every little things that sparks an inner and outer smile.
- I force myself to take few minutes a day for mindfulness meditation. It is amazing what just a few minutes of being present and giving the brain a break can do for you, every time it amazes me what a difference it makes.
- I do my best to not get upset with myself for not accomplishing something, we are exactly where we need to be in life and celebrating the little accomplishments is much more productive than thinking about what we did not do.
- I allow myself as many breaks as I need to go outside into my garden, go for a walk, or just sit there and do nothing. A rested brain will accomplish so much more than a tired one.
- I have me time at the end of the day for at least 1-2 hours to do what I want like watch a movie, a show, play a game, walk, check on my greenhouse, etc. Deep sleep seems to come easier when I have a break before bed.
- I take a minute when I get into bed to say thanks and to visualize the few things I want accomplished the next day. This is not list building or thinking about what I did not do. It goes more like this: “Tomorrow I would like to… 1, 2, 3”, I try to picture it completed, and then I let it go and go to sleep. I find that if you visualize the several things you want to accomplish tomorrow they tend to get done.
What do you do to overcome overwhelm? Please share in the comments below I would love to hear from you.
Have a wonderful blissful day!